Oh bloody hell….. its here….where was the warning…..i wasn’t prepared….how am i going to get through it….i hate it, i hate it.
Don’t you just love it when you get a visitor every month who won’t sod off til they are quite finished. I know I like to see mine come but I also can’t wait to see the back of it.
Having a period isn’t all bad it shows your body is still working and your reproductive system isn’t growing no babies inside so if you weren’t planning on being pregnant then having one is quite a relief.
However, it isn’t always plain sailing. There are aches/pains, horrendous mood swings, emotional outbursts, mahoosive spots usually so noticeable no concealer can hide, and the thought of leaking sends your mind into panic.
I have put together a little list of things that can help you get through the week from hell with a little more comfort.
- Use a period tracker – My favourite is CLUE. You can get it on the app store free and it lets you know when your most fertile days are, when you are next due and lets you record your symptoms throughout your 28-day cycle… I have a post about it here if you want to find out more. It’s so handy.
- Have a hot water bottle, heat pads (that you stick on top of your underwear) or a homemade heat pad with a thick sock, some rice and then put it in the microwave. I can never be without my hot water bottle, period or not.
- Having a hot bath helps if you suffer from back pain as well as cramps. I always think I will leak in there so I wear some bikini bottoms.
- Never wear your best underwear, have a stash of old ones that you don’t mind if you got blood on them – If you do a bit of salt and cold water rubbed together works a treat.
- If you are craving chocolate during your period try and go for dark chocolate if you can has more iron in it which helps when you are losing blood.
- This is a funny one – as soon as you feel your PMT coming on wear RED nail varnish so the other half knows you are out of bounds and are probably going to become Godzilla if they say the wrong thing.
- Have a stack of DVDs to get through whether they are ones to make you laugh or ones to make you bawl your eyes out. I sometimes find having a good cry helps but i guess everyone’s different.
- Change your diet during your period to stop getting doubly bloated. Avoid fizzy drinks and starchy foods and eat plenty of fruit and keeping your fluids up too.
- Stretch your left thumb and pointer finger and apply pressure one finger space down this will help alleviate any crampy pain and you can do it anywhere too.
- Putting your legs up the wall whilst you are led on your bed somehow strangely helps the achiness you get during the first few days.
- Last of all buy yourself some tea tree to get those spots gone pronto…this is my favourite The Body Shop Tea Tree anti blemish Solution
Some of these you may already know but I thought I’d just put a few down for you to make note of if you didn’t.
Also if you fancy a giggle here is my first period nightmare story… I cringe every time.
Thanks for reading….feel free to share your tips below
til next time
Todays feature Friday is Marissa Dolan from INROOROOSWORLD.
Marissa is a very brave and courageous young woman and I am so glad to have her on my blog today.
Her openness warmed my heart and I hope it will with you.
On we go with the questions…
How long have you had diabetes for and had it ever stopped you from doing anything in life?
I have had Diabetes since the age of 4, in April 2018 it will be 20 long years. For me I have tried to not let this illness stop me from doing anything and so far it has yet to stop me.
A song that reminds you of your childhood?
Off the top of my head, the song that immediately comes to my mind is Wannabe by the Spice Girls. My sisters and I were (still are) HUGE fans and most likely always will be.
A song that makes you happy?
The first song that makes me the happiest has to be I Wanna Dance with Somebody by Whitney Houston.
A song that helps you through tough times?
Whenever I’m feeling down I hate to sound extremely corny but my go-to song is Fight Song by Rachel Platten. I love the message it gives and I can relate to it so much.
What famous person do you look up to and why?
I have a few celebs that I obsess over but, the most inspirational celebrity to me is Demi Lovato. She has been so open about her daily struggles and gives us all a reason to keep pushing through because she does with such grace and it’s very inspiring.
Why did you start blogging?
I started blogging because I have always wanted to share my life story. Whether that’s about my diabetes or just daily tips I can give, I love sharing what I have been through and honestly blogging has helped me so much with being more outgoing and I love this community it’s amazing!
Go follow the lovely Marissa on her social media
Thank you so much for stopping by.
See you in my next post…
While I’ve just burnt by mouth on my very hot hot chocolate (I will learn one day) I thought I’d go through the month of November with you…
I can’t really do a favourites with you as I was in hospital most of November having intensive therapy to try and help my mobility. So I only came out of there last week so I have just been getting back to feeling at home and not being woken by other people’s bells.
I was homesick a lot because since moving back in with my Mum I have always had company and never felt alone. But I was miles away from everyone so it was FaceTime and phone calls. I think I would have climbed the wall if I didn’t have any means of talking to anyone from my neck of the woods.
Although I had a lot of help the paralysis is still happening every day. I get about 4-6 hours rest before it all starts again…mainly overnight which is good cos I can curl up and snuggle down in.
I went in a little apprehensive and negative but came out with a mindful and positive outlook and a tiny improvement to my legs. Any improvement is better than none at all.
Next month I hope to have loads to put in my December favourites.
Til next time
Let me start off by saying that this is a little in-depth account of my love life… you can see how its kind of panned out over the years.
Ok so I seriously thought I was going to marry Chesney Hawkes, I used to change the words to ‘I am your one and only, please will you marry me? Oh cringe. I was only 7 or 8 I was still a little girl. Michael Owen was another love of mine, I had a giant poster on my wall of him from my Shout magazine. Least I could go to bed happy.
I soon went off the idea of becoming Mrs Hawkes or Owen and looked forward to playing kiss chase at lunchtimes at primary school. That was when I kissed David. He was my first crush. He was short-ish like me and I went out with him briefly at year 6 camp. That didn’t last long…he moved on to my friend instead.
Throughout school I had a few boyfriends. One called Tom and another Jamie. I foolishly lost my virginity to one of them. Through peer pressure may I add. I also experienced my first girl kiss too, i had saw it on the TV and thought i want to see what it feels like. I knew that I couldn’t talk about it as I was already getting picked on for my skin too. So that was just brushed under the carpet and kept hush hush.
I left school and didn’t have my first proper boyfriend until I was 18. He was just like me he didn’t take life too seriously and we could just act ourselves without thinking we weren’t impressing each other. We met at work when we worked in a bar so when we weren’t working we would spend as much time together as possible. Just after a year he decided he wanted to go back to his Ex so that was a slight kick to the curb.
For a few years I thought I would just go clubbing and see who I could pull. Don’t frown on me I bet you’ve done it in the past. Some were never to be seen again and some were and still are friends. Just because you don’t want to pursue anything any further there’s no reason to not just be friends.
Just before my 21st birthday I took Richard back. I guess there was still parts of him I missed and we just fell back where we left off. But during the 18 months we were together he totally changed. Like overnight, he started to be quite controlling and if I wanted to go anywhere in the car he would demand I paid for petrol. I didn’t like the person he had become and I had to get out there and then. Not seen him to speak to since.
I was in the nightclub a few months later and me and this guy Jake had caught each others eye. We swapped numbers at the end of the night and then in one text he said I am off to Spain for a week we can arrange to meet up when I get back. I wasn’t holding out much hope. He was true to his word and we went out on a date, saw each other every night for 2 weeks when he said would you like to be my girlfriend. It lasted 3 months. I was so happy when I was with him, the only thing was he would buy me everything and I didn’t feel comfortable being spoilt like that. He finished it quite abruptly when I had packed to go away with him and I phoned up to asked what time he’d be coming to get me, he said I won’t.Just like that it was over.
From that day on I looked at love differently. I thought that it didn’t matter who you fell for, male or female you would find someone who appreciated you one day and they would make you smile endlessly and your heart would beat that little bit faster because of them.
I haven’t found my forever someone yet. I have been on dates with men and women and I guess the right person will come along when I least expect it. Just as long as i am not single forever.
Thanks for reading until the end… My hand hurts now from typing 🙂
Todays Feature Friday blogger is AUTUMNSKYESBLOG who is a bit of a brainbox and I’m a little jealous as I wasn’t too academic at school.
What are you studying at the moment?
I’m in my third and penultimate year of Medical Sciences. I’m spending this year on placement working with a epidemiology research group – we statistically study enormous amounts of data to test whatever healthy-ageing-related hypothesis we want, collaborate with specialists and publish papers! (geek alert) To keep this short and sweet, having studied health data of half a million people I give you these tips to age well.
1) Keep your cardiovascular system (heart, blood vessels) healthy – the way to do that is exercise regularly and try to keep a fairly balanced diet avoiding the obvious fatty, sugary culprits! It reaaaally makes a difference in literally every way imaginable.
2) Build up muscle – you will thank yourself when you’re old. Sarcopenia (muscle mass, strength and quality loss) is rife among the elderly and it causes all sorts of problems. Aside from the obvious mobility issues, it can be linked to neurological disease as well… Even if you are predisposed to losing muscle, the more you have to begin with, the more ‘buffer’ you have until it becomes a problem, right?
3) Look after your mental health just as much as physical health.
I’m aware no one asked for a health lesson but nonetheless you’re welcome lol xoxo
Where is your favourite place to get away to?
Berlin! When I’m there I get the feeling I don’t have in any other place – you know when a place just feels like YOUR place? It’s no wonder I got my identity-defining cactus-embroidered boy fit jeans from there! Berlin transformed me into my current careless self.
What would your dream job be?
Doctor! Failing that, a dog handler for the police or military!
Why did you start blogging?
Funny story – I got in trouble at uni for not referencing properly and it made me so angry I almost did it to get back at the people – having a place to write where I don’t have to answer to anyone. Somewhere I don’t have to reference or have a word limit.
FOLLOW HER FAB BLOG
FOLLOW HER TWITTER TOO
Thanks for taking the time to read today’s post
I’ll see you in my next one….
Lately I have realised there is no point in clogging up your life with things that just add more stress and anxiousness to what really can be a more zen-like kind of life.
I have come up with a list of things that you can start doing to help get your mental health looking and feeling more like you got your shit in order to put it quite frankly.
- Go to bed 30 minutes earlier than you normally would. Do this for a few weeks and you’ll soon be in a routine.
- Journal for 15 minutes about whatever comes to mind. It’s for your eyes only so don’t hold back.
- Make weekly goals and do daily gratitude journaling. It will make you appreciate things more.
- Reward yourself with a pampering or a nice bubble bath. Giving yourself some well deserved me time.
DIET AND EXERCISE
- Meditate for 5 mins in the morning and a little longer in the evening if you can to keep your mind clear and allow yourself to unwind.
- Find a workout you enjoy and do it regularly. Yoga, Pilates or Tai Chi are less strenuous and focus on the here and now.
- Look at your diet and add some goodness into it whether its fruit, veggies, nuts and seeds or just drinking more water your body will thank you for it.
- Enjoy every bite you take and appreciate what you’re eating.
- Remove all unwanted texts from your phone unless you really need to keep them its just using up space. That goes for emails too.
- Try to not go on social media first thing in the morning, take this time to be productive. Leave it until at least 11am before you click on it.
- Unfollow people who don’t inspire you.
- Don’t use your phone at mealtimes and out with friends you’re meant to be enjoying the moment not dictating your outing word for word.
- Give yourself a compliment, and compliment others too.
- Make sure you laugh daily -My favourite quote is live,laugh, love.
- Make a Pinterest board of positive quotes and affirmations.
- Do a little random act of kindness. It’s always nice to make someone’s day.
Putting these into practice every day will change your life completely and you’ll look at it in a totally different light. It will become part of you before you know it and you won’t be getting stressed right out because you will have these helpful tools to keep you smiling.
For this weeks Q and A I am joined by the wonderful Hannah from AMETHYST ROSE BEAUTY who’s blog posts have inspired me reading them and I hope they will inspire you too.
Here’s a few questions I came up with….
What quote do you love/live by?
I love the quote ‘Once you become fearless life becomes limitless’ because is so true. In life I realised I needed to be fearless in conquering things I wanted to achieve. Being fearless to me means not caring what others think or say, only doing things for me and things that make me happy. Then life really does become limitless, because there are no restrictions on what you can achieve!
What makes you feel confident?
Every time I wear a bold lip I feel so confident! No matter if it’s a simple makeup look or full glam a bold lip, it just makes me feel like I can conquer anything.
What is your signature make up look?
My go to signature makeup look would be winged liner and simple eyeshadow, a bold lip and a good highlight! It’s so quick to do but looks like so much more effort has gone into it!
Why did you start blogging?
I started blogging as it was something I had been thinking about doing for a while, and eventually thought there’s no time like the present! So I stopped putting it off and here we are today! Blogging about makeup, makeup looks and things I go through in life for me is very therapeutic. To write about my experiences and interact with others all over the world is amazing! I couldn’t imagine not blogging now!
AMETHYST ROSE BEAUTY BLOG
If you only follow one person today make sure it’s Hannah.
Thanks for reading
See you in my next post….