Oh bloody hell….. its here….where was the warning…..i wasn’t prepared….how am i going to get through it….i hate it, i hate it.
Don’t you just love it when you get a visitor every month who won’t sod off til they are quite finished. I know i like to see mine come but i also can’t wait to see the back of it.
Having a period isn’t all bad it shows your body is still working and your reproductive system isn’t growing no babies inside so if you weren’t planning on being pregnant then having one is quite a relief.
However it isn’t always plain sailing. There are aches/pains, horrendous mood swings, emotional outbursts, mahoosive spots usually so noticeable no concealer can hide, and the thought of leaking sends your mind into panic.
I have put together a little list of things that can help you get through the week from hell with a little more comfort.
- Use a period tracker – My favourite is CLUE. You can get it on the app store free and it lets you know when your most fertile days are, when you are next due and lets you record your symptoms throughout your 28 day cycle… i have a post about it here if you want to find out more. Its so handy.
- Have a hot water bottle, heat pads (that you stick on top of your underwear) or a homemade heat pad with a thick sock, some rice and then put it in the microwave. I can never be without my hot water bottle, period or not.
- Having a hot bath helps if you suffer from back pain as well as cramps. I always think i will leak in there so i wear some bikini bottoms.
- Never wear your best underwear, have a stash of old ones that you don’t mind if you got blood on them – If you do a bit of salt and cold water rubbed together works a treat.
- If you are craving chocolate during your period try and go for dark chocolate if you can has more iron in it which helps when you are losing blood.
- This is a funny one – as soon as you feel your PMT coming on wear RED nail varnish so the other half knows you are out of bounds and are probably going to become Godzilla if they say the wrong thing.
- Have a stack of DVDS to get through whether they are ones to make you laugh or ones to make you bawl your eyes out. I sometimes find having a good cry helps but i guess everyone’s different.
- Change your diet during your period to stop getting doubly bloated. Avoid fizzy drinks and starchy foods and eat plenty of fruit and keeping your fluids up too.
- Stretch your left thumb and pointer finger and apply pressure one finger space down this will help alleviate any crampy pain and you can do it anywhere too.
- Putting your legs up the wall whilst you are led on your bed somehow strangely helps the achiness you get during the first few days.
- Last of all buy yourself some tea tree to get those spots gone pronto…this is my favourite The Body Shop Tea Tree anti blemish Solution
Some of these you may already know but i thought i’d just put a few down for you to make note of if you didn’t.
Also if you fancy a giggle here is my first period nightmare story…i cringe everytime.
Thanks for reading….feel free to share your tips below
til next time